Do you ever wonder what this clean eating stuff is all about? Do you get overwhelmed with all of the information out there that says to eat this and then find another article that says don't eat that? It can all be very confusing and prevent us from making some healthy changes, changes that actually are very simple.
Clean eating starts in the kitchen. The truth is the types of food we put into our bodies determines not only how we look, feel , think and act. It's the small choices we make every day that determine if we want food to be our best friend or our worst enemy. If we eat foods that are filled with chemicals and article ingredients we are going to feel the effects. If we choose whole fresh foods we are going to feel the effects as well, but in a completely different and positive way!
Here are some simple tips making eating clean a little easier.
1. Keep It Simple- don't get stressed about doing everything perfectly. Take it one step at a time. Small changes can add up to huge results.
2. Water, Water, Water- let me say it again, WATER!! Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water daily to keep you full and hydrated. Sometimes we can mistake thirst for hunger.
3.Make a List- Write a clean eating grocery list ands stick to it. Only buy the items on your list and this will increase your success buying only what you need and not just what you want.
4. Shop the Perimeter- when food shopping go around the outside. That is where you will find the healthy items. Avoid the aisles where the packaged and boxed, not so healthy items are located.
5.Whole and Fresh- start with eating whole foods that haven't been tampered with or modified in any way. Organic fruits, vegetables, meats and nuts are your clean eating foundation.
6.Forget the Labels- don't become label obsessed. In fact, forget the labels. Choose foods that are label free because what you see is what you get. Organic meats, fruits, vegetables and dairy are the way to go. ( If the item does have a label, stick to the 5 ingredient rule and ingredients you can pronounce) avoids processed foods all together. If it comes in a bag or a box forget it. Your body does not need all of those chemicals.
7.. Kick the Low Fat Habit- any food item that is fat free, low fat or has natural flavoring has added sugar. Go for natural sugars and avoid the fake ones.
8. Be Mindful- pay attention to your body. Eat when you are hungry not by the clock.
9. Be Positive- beginning a clean eating lifestyle is not always easy, but keeping a positive mental attitude can keep you focused on creating healthy changes.
10. Food as Fuel- Remember that food is fuel for our bodies and choosing foods that are full of nutrition, vitamins and minerals will give our bodies and minds the nourishment we need to not only be healthy but happy too.